The great Test Joomla vs WordPress will point out all the Pros and Cons of the two Content Management Systems. With the artictle I try to help you choose the right software for your website project. So this Test Joomla vs WordPress might be very interesting for you if you are planing a new wbsite project at the moment.
Joomla vs WordPress – hard to compare!
Even though it is really hard to compare Joomla vs WordPress I did my best in this article. The main problem in comparing the two Content Management Systems is the different market they belong to. While WordPress is more of a blogging platform, Joomla is a platform for larger website projects. Nevertheless after you have red the Joomla vs WordPress Test you definitly will have a better idea of which CMS fits your needs better.
Joomla vs WordPress –Â Background
Since I run my own company, which now is almost about 10 years, my clients always wanted me to create a website for them (a personal website for private usage) or for their company. In the good old days this was basically it, I had to create a â€śsimpleâ€ť website for them and my clients were happy. Nowadays this has changed slightly. My clients don’t ask me anymore to simply create a website for them, they want to a website and the possibility to customize the content and design of the website by themselves. For me the best solution is to offer them a CMS (Content Management System). It is super easy to build a website with a CMS and furthermore they provide an administration Dashboard, which gives my clients the possibility to customize more or less everything they want to. Great for me actually, because it is less work and my clients are happy again. In this article I will present you the most popular Content Management Systems, WordPress and Joomla! By the way these are the ones I usually use to implement websites for my clients. At the end of this articel you will find a Joomla vs WordPress comparsion chart and a cool Infographic with all the important stuff to know about theese two Conten Management Systems.
In the following section I will give you some basic information about WordPress and Joomla! After that I will take a look at the advantages and the disadvantages of the CMS. At the end I will give you a short summary and I will also point out which one I use most. So letâ€™s begin with WordPress.
Joomla vs WordPress – WordPress
Without any doubt, WordPress is the most popular CMS out there. About 35% of the websites are built with WordPress. Not 35% of the websites I build, 35% of all the websites in the internet! Especially when you want to run a Blog, WordPress is the CMS for you. Here are the advantages of WordPress:
ProsÂ of WordPress
- WordPress is very easy to use. You do not need any programming skills to create a website with WordPress. Themes and Plugins will do all the work for you. At the moment there are more than 44.000 Plugins available on the WordPress homepage. So I am pretty sure you will find a Plugin for every need.
- WordPress is for free. Thatâ€™s right, you do not have to pay for WordPress. Even most of the Themes and Plugins are for free. To say it in a few words: You donâ€™t need any programming skills nor money to create a great website with WordPress!
- WordPress is customizable. Like I already mentioned before, there are a tone of Themes and Plugins available. This enables you to customize your website totally the way you want to.
- WordPress has a huge Community. In case you have any problems with an update, a Theme or a Plugin, there is no need to get frustrated. You will most likely find a solution for almost any kind of problem in the WordPress community.
- WordPress already comes up with good source code for SEO (Search Engine Optimization). This means you have better chances to rank very high in SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages) with WordPress
- The programmers of WordPress definitly keep on developing the CMS since already more than 20% of all websites in the internet are built with WordPress
- The huge amount of individual programmers make you strongly independent. There is no need to stick to any plugin or theme if the developer does not keep on updating it. You can easily find another one with the same functionality or even a better one.
- Despite many other people might say, WordPress is very secure. The only thing you really have to do is stay updated.
Cons of WordPress
In my opinion there are not many disadvantages of WordPress, but of course nothing is perfect so I collected some for you:
- WordPress is not made for high complexity. In case you want to create a really complex website you should better not use WordPress. Thatâ€™s just not what it is made for.
- WordPress is might be vulnerable to hackers. The fact that so many people use WordPress as a CMS makes it a huge target for hackers. In case you do not update Plugins, Themes and WordPress itself frequently, the possibility to get hacked can be higher than with other websites.
- The huge amount of Plugins and Themes is at the same time a disadvantage because it migth be overwhelming for beginners.
And thatâ€™s it, thatâ€™s all the disadvantages I can think of when talking about WordPress. The next CMS to present is Joomla!
Joomla vs WordPress – Joomla
A few years ago Joomla! definitely was more popular than WordPress. That was because it offered basic functionalities in very high quality. Nowadays Joomla! is the perfect choice when creating a web portal with a huge amount of users. So here come the advantages of Joomla!
Pros of Joomla
- Very easy integration of social networks. Compared to WordPress it is so much easier to integrate social networks in a Joomla! website.
- Easy implementation of Online-Shops. With Joomla! it is very easy to set up an Online-Shop. The last update made it even more easily and intuitively.
- Joomla is for free. Yeas thatâ€™s right, Joomla! also is for free.
- Even if WordPress has strong SEO features, Joomla! definitly has better ones!
- Joomla is made to build bigger websites than you can do with WordPress.
- Joomla! Templates definitly look way better than WordPress Themes. At least the raw versions.
Cons of Joomla
The only disadvantage I can imagine is the following one:
- Joomla is a bit more complex than WordPress. Compared to WordPress Joomla! is a bit more complex and it takes longer to learn all the features and functionalities it provides.
- It is not possible to write comments in Joomla! which is nowadys a really big minus.
- The Community of Joomla! is much smaller than the WordPress Community.
Well actually there is another disadvantage. Joomla only provides limited SEO functionalities.
So here comes the Joomla vs WordPress comparsion chart and the promised Infographic.
|WordPress is very easy to use||Very easy integration of social networks|
|WordPress is for free||Easy implementation of Online-Shops|
|WordPress has a huge Community||Joomla! is for free|
|Â Good source code forÂ SEO||Â Better for SEO than WordPress|
|Programmers of WordPress definitly keep on developing||Â Made to build bigger websites|
|Independence||Â Templates definitly look way better|
Joomla vs WordPress – conclusion
I have to admit that it is very hard to tell which one, WordPress or Joomla, is the better CMS. It always depends on the website you want to create. Ok, this might not be a very helpful answer, but it is the truth. Concerning to the websites I build for my clients I can say that in 80% of the cases I use WordPress. The reason behind is basically that most of my clients order Blogs and for Blogs WordPress definitely is the better choice! I hope my Test Joomla vs WordPress can help you find the best CMS for your needs.