Since May 23rd it is possible to combine multiple properties into a single group in Google Search Console. This is great for everyone who runs several properties for one website. This can be the case when you have a property for the desktop version, the mobile version and the mobile app. Until May 23rd webmasters had to track all those statistics separately. In case you are completely new to Google Search Console I recommend you to read this article about setting up a Search Console property for your website.
Before I will show you how easy it is to create a property set let me introduce some of the important preconditions you have to keep in mind when you want to create a property set:
Preconditions to create property sets
- You can only add verified properties to a set. This means you have to verify a property before you try to add it to a set.
- You must at least be a verified restricted user for the property to add it to a set.
- You must at least be a verified restricted user for every property in the set to access the property set.
- A set can only have one owner and no users. This means a property set cannot be shared.
- You can add up until 200 properties in a set.
The most important and at the same time most frustrating point (at least in my opinion) is that property sets cannot be shared to other users. This restricts the usage of property sets in a huge amount. Imagine you work in a company and you have to share a set with colleaguesâ€¦ Until now this is simply not possible. To be honest, this restriction makes this new feature almost useless for me and my concerns. There is just no need no create a property set when there is no possibility to share it with colleagues. But I am pretty sure Google will change this restriction in the future. I will keep you informed here!
Now letâ€™s go on with the property sets. I will now explain you how you easily can create a property set in your Search Console account.
Create a Property Set in Your Google Search Console account
- First of all go to the homepage of your account
- You will find a new button on the right side of the screen
It is called Create a set.
- The next thing you have to do is to give your new property set a name.
- After you have chosen a name you can add properties to the set. Therefore click the button Select a member to add and choose the properties you want to.
- Now click Save changes and thatâ€™s it!
- When you go back to your Search Console homepage you will find the new set.
From now it will take a few days until you start seeing data in the new property set.